cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring

hannc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i have a mixture of cisco switches on the lan. 3750G's and 2950t's and 2950sx. I am getting asked is there something funny going on in the lan as in connections dropping etc. I dont know how to find this out. i did sh interfaces and cant see any errors. Is there any other software or commands that can help me.

Thanks

Claire

5 Replies 5

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Claire,

If you need automatic response the best would be setting snmp for the appropriate traps you need.

However, for connections drops, there's not a single response for what could be causing it.

This will demand investigation and troubleshooting from your part, if you have more details on the problem let us know.

HTH a bit,

Vlad

What I believe if there is no error at the ports, it is better to check from the dropped PC and troubleshoot it starting by physical layer, cable, NIC, switch, etc.

It is impossible to advise the reason and solution w/o sufficient information.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Well a user reported that they lost the connection to the exchange server for a while and coincidentally another application that runs on another server "hung". They both are uplinked to the same switch. I looked at the event logs on each server and no errors from that time occurred. I look at the switch sh interfaces and couldnt see any packet errors. Its just really to know the steps to take to see what might have caused it as wveryone blames the network first and i think its more the application/client pc's.

Thanks for your help

Claire

rameshwarhiwale
Level 1
Level 1

Just try PRTG IF u want exact reports

Can you try to isolate the problem by move the user to other switch and test again. And the connection is dropped in the application or the LAN connection dropped ? You can try to ask the user to carry ping test when the application hang or dropped connection to verify it.

If moved to other switch and works, then there may be compatiblity issue or hardware failure. CAn you confirm the speed, duplex, MTU all are matched between switch and PC, server ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card