Views
Helpful
Replies

moving my 3750-X stack switch by switch

DannyHuston
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two 3750-X configured to be a stack and I am planning to re-rack these somewhere else.  What I would like to know is what are the effects of having the master switch itself lose power?  Does it immediately just make the member take over master (there should be no election since there are only 2 switches??) and there would be no loss of connectivity?

1 Reply 1

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Danny,

If Master switch fails, and if it has uplink, In this case there is double failure hence higher losses. Master failure dectection and recovery process is faster however resyncing, forwarding info on port connected to Master switch takes ~1sec

failure detection of stack-member across the ring occurs within sub-second. However interfaces associated to failed stack switch removal process do not trigger until 1 to 1.5 seconds.This delayed synchronization process impacts traffic losses which do not meet the baselines for real-time network applications.

Cisco recommend customers to design Stack with appropriate control/dataplane design to minimize the data loss. That includes putting Master switch in the center of the ring with NO uplinks - this minimizes double failure.

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card