cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast not working through our Core switch (6509E)

rogalskij
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 6509E chassis as the core of our network. We are trying to run our FOG (Imaging software) server and we are finding multicast is not working through the switch. We tested this by plugging the server into a variety of other switches that bypass the core and multicasting works perfectly. I am unsure what settings could be different as I have compared IGMP Snooping and the port-fast settings with the switches that work when the server is plugged into them.

Any ideas? It is running SUPT2XL as the supervisors running 15.1 on them.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Under the SVI interface for that vlan, try "ip PIM sparse-dense-mode" 

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the core switch is layer-3, you may want to enabling PIM on the vlan interface (SVI) and than test again.

HTH

That is interesting, I know very little about PIM. While the switch (6509E) is a layer 3 switch, both the server and the clients are on the same vlan, would one still use PIM on that vlan interface?

Usually when clients and server in the same vlan PIM is not needed but you may want to give it try anyway if all the other configs are applied correctly and you are not getting results.

HTH 

Interesting. I think I will try it. Should I use sparse mode or dense mode PIM? Also what would the commands be for that? I really appreciate this insight.

Under the SVI interface for that vlan, try "ip PIM sparse-dense-mode" 

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card