Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast setup on WS-3750-X

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Folks.

I've been handed a requirement to try and get a multicast server working on my setup.

Trouble is, I don't know if I can with the feature set I have on my switches.

What is desired is that a multicast server (stand alone, but network conencted, obviously) be accessible by everyone on the local network (multiple VLAN's, multiple SVI's) in the building.

All users will be connected to the one switch stack, although some will want to be wireless (which is one of the separate VLAN's) - I don't care if the wireless requirement goes by the wayside - they can sod off. :-) The main purpose will be multicast, high quality video.

I have a single switch stack consisting of two (soon to be 3) WS-C3750X-48P switches running the IPBASE featureset.

Question - can I do this on IPBASE, or do I need to upgrade to IPSERVICES?

If I can do it on IPBASE, does anyone have any links/pointers to setup this properly?

Currently installed IOS is 12.2(58)SE2.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Thanks - I've already read that - several times - and it doesn't answer my question with regards to if I need to upgrade feature set or not.

There are numerous commands in the referenced document which simply don't exist on IPBASE switches, but *do* exist on my other stack (not in this office, unfortunately) which run IPSERVCIES (ip pim sparse-mode and ip pim dense-mode, for example).

I don't have a real handle on multicast - I'm not sure if just having 'ip multicast-routing distributed" is enough to allow clients in the same VLAN to connect to a multicast server also in that VLAN, or if I need something else.

Weeeee! Did a bit more searching, and found indications that if I just put the SVI into "ip pim passive" mode that I *should* be able to get multicasting to work within the specified VLAN - which is all I want to do!

Yay for the Cisco support forums!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card