Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicasting in IP PIM Sparse Mode

tusharp81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All ,

I want to know if we can set Vlan interface as a Static Rp in multicast Sparse mode . Attached is the basic setup at our end .

Also want to know what are the configurations needs to be made on 6509 and on 3750 .

Is there any config needs to be done on the destination end ( Receiver )  with same setup .

Rgds,

Tushar

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tushar

Do you want to route the multicast stream outside of vlan 11 or is the multicast only meant to be in vlan 11 ?

Jon

Dear Jon ,

Multicast would be from vlan 11 till core switch and on core switch it would be on vlan 5 also ( 172.19.5.3/24 ) 

from vlan 5 it would be forwarded to our firewall and from firewall through mpls cloud it would be reaching our different sites .

so at the receiver end after mpls cloud it would hit firewall then on core switch vlan ( 172.27.5.3/24 ) and then on to user  vlan on core switch ( 172.27.51.3/24) and from core switch it would be to user  switch ( cisco 3750 )where the client is connected    ( 172.27.51.51/24 ) .

I want to know what would be the configuration on each device and is there any need to configure ip igmp join-group command on of the interfaces / device .

What group id should i use .

Awaiting your reply .

rgds,

Tushar

Tushar

You can use an SVI as the RP or you can use a loopback address, either would work. Just make sure you enable PIM on that interface.

In terms of the rest of the configuration -

1) on the 3750 and 6500 you need IGMP snooping enabled but it should be by default so you shouldn't have to do anything

2) on the 6500 on any vlans that you want to route the multicast stream to or from you need to enable PIM on the L3 SVI.

You do not need to use igmp-join commands because the receiver should send an IGMP join request within it's vlan. This is more to do with the software on the receiver than any actual network setting.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card