Views
Helpful
Replies

Multichassis Etherchannel – Cat 6500 VSS

mile.ljepojevic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I configured Etherchannel between 3 ports on server and on Cat 6500 VSS, two ports on one physical chassis, and one port on another.

If I look at etherchannel status, I see no errors.

I used port-channel load-balance src-mac as LB algorithm, since most of the servers accessing that server are on the same LAN, so their MAC addresses should be visible to the switch.

As a guide-line I used this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_configuration_example09186a008089a821.shtml#guidelines

The problem is that LB is not working! At all!!!

We tested with copying multiple files from/to that server, to/from multiple servers on the same LAN segment, and we always see just one NIC used for TX traffic (NIC 1), and NIC 3 is used for RX traffic (practically, switch is forwarding all traffic through one interface). And we hit 92% of utilization on the link not even then next flow didn’t go through other etherchannel links.

Is there any issue with our setup?

Thanks,

Mile

3 Replies 3

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

what's the server on the other side ? Linux , windows etc . I configured server bonding on CentOS few days back ( using a totally different switch -- no cisco ) , it wasn't working and was showing the same symtoms. I ended up using LACP on the switch side with src/dest mac hashing and bond mode 802.3ad on the Centos side. It was only then it started load balancing traffic across four links in tha Bond.

Manish

It is Windows 200x servers... We tried that on 2 different HP servers. But it's windows either way.

We also tried LACP and no negotiations, the results were the same.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card