Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT causing Router Reboot

Jesse Hottle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco 7206, running NAT. I am tanslating our internal network range to a single 'public' IP address. We are also running VOIP on our network. The router is runnig version 12.3

After about 1-2hours, sometimes less, the router will just reboot itself. I am not seeing any error causing this reboot.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jesse

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jesse

I doubt that doing NAT is causing the router to reboot. With the information that you have given so far we do not have enough information to determine whether it is more likely a hardware problem or a software problem. Are there any console messages at the time of the reload? Can you actively monitor the console so that you can see what may display when the router reboots? What does show version indicate about the cause of the reboot? Are there any crashinfo files?

Ifl you can provide some of these answers we may get closer to having an answer to your question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Here is the console error I am getting.

"19: 00:44:56: %SYS-2-WATCHDOG: Process aborted on watchdog timeout, process = IP Input."

I had the same error on another 7206 router.

Hello,

This seems due to the watchdog timeout ... the router can reboot due to a hardware or a software failure, due to watchdog.. Have you installed any new module or feature ? If so, can u disable that feature/module and then try ? Please have a look at the URL below and see if it helps:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/122/crashes_watchdog_timeout.shtml

Also check if there are any open caveats on the release notes with respect to your IOS on CCO.

Raj

Please take a look at my config and tell me if there might be a problem there. I have had this same issue on two different 7206 routers, using the same config

Jesse

Jesse

Are there any other log messages or console messages when the router reboots? Are there crashinfo files from when the router reboots? If there were additional information it might help us to diagnose the problem better.

I have looked at the Cisco Bug tool and there seem to be a number of bugs identified with wathdog issues in 12.3. Probably the most promising bug is one associated with SNMP. It suggests disabling SNMP as a potential workaround. You might try disabling SNMP and see if things improve. Or you would be well advised to upgrade code on the router to a more recent version and see if that resolves it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card