Views
Helpful
Replies

Native VLAN Mismatch & BPDUFilter

Hamza DEHAL
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In a client campus network there are two switches connected via a trunk link with a different native vlan:

(SW1 with native vlan 7 and SW2 with native vlan 1),

By looking at the logs, there isn't any native vlan mismatch log, in the interfaces I found that interface on SW2 (with NV: 1) which is connected to SW1 (NV:7) contains the following command "spanning-tree bpdufilter enable".

I deleted this command and these messages started appearing in both switches:

%CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH

%SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL

- As far as I know, BPDU Filter is used to stop an interface from generation BPDUs (for some STP puspose)

- Can anyone explain to me how does BPDU Filter prevent a native VLAN mistamch from happening ??

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you all

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

OK, 
config the trunk with disable DTP prevent the both SW to detect native VLAN mismatch because the DTP will inform other SW about native VLAN it use. 
BUT 
STP also do the same 
config the port with prevent it to send BPDU make both SW no detect the native VLAN mismatch.
NOW your case disable STP and DTP so the mismatch not detect 
after enable STP in port immediately SW detect mismatch. 

@MHM Cisco World As I understand from your reply, the command "Spanning-tree bpdufilter enable" doesn't prevent the mismatch, So the mismatch is still happening but the switches can't detect it right ?

Is there any reason you need different native vlan each switch (best practice you should configure the same Native VLAN on the both side of a Trunk), if not i suggest to match native vlan to get rid of this error.

or that is the requirement try below :

interface Gi t0/1   <<-- change the trunk interface as per the environemtn

switchport trunk native vlan XXXX

switchport mode trunk

no cdp enable

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes you are right, SW detect mismatch either through DTP or STP, and both you disabled

Hello

@Hamza DEHAL wrote:

I deleted this command and these messages started appearing in both switches:

%CDP-4-NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH

%SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL

Disbale cdp on the nterfaces

int x/x
no cdp enable

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Very strange indeed; what about CDP ? 

is this real gear or virtual lab like CML ?  Although they are getting better, I would not trust any virtual IOS like IOL or IOLv2 from CML.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

@Martin L it is not a lab, it is real gear

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card