Helpful
Replies

Need a bit of guidance with ip helper-address on a L3 switch

Jonathan Riley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Happy New Year!

Could some one be kind enough to have a look at a PT file for me and tell me where I am going wrong please?.

It's a practice one for a college assignment I am working on, for which I have to submit an original network, and then suggest some possible improvements. My first PT file consists of 3 LANs, all using L2 switches configured with VLANs and routing on a stick, with ip helper-address pointing to a DHCP server on one of the LANs. That all works fine.

Now I am trying to create a test network that uses a L3 switch that has VLANs, I want the end user devices to obtain addressing from a DHCP server on a separate network, I have configured the VLANs, gave them IP addresses, entered the ip helper-address, the link between the switch and router has had the "no switchport" command executed on the switch, I given the connected port on the switch a relevant IP address to the router interface it is connected to, both router and switch have OSPF configured with network statements, but DHCP requests are failing.

In simulation mode the packets are reaching the DHCP server but are not returning, and I'm a little confused as to what I have done wrong.

Attached is the PT file, please bear in mind this is just a test PT file that I have been practicing with before creating the final PT file for submission.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Jon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Haihua Rong
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Jonathan,

It's not working because you did not configure the DG on the DHCP server. Please add 192.168.1.1 as default gateway on the DHCP server.

Haihua

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Haihua Rong
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Jonathan,

It's not working because you did not configure the DG on the DHCP server. Please add 192.168.1.1 as default gateway on the DHCP server.

Haihua

Jonathan Riley
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Haihua,

Thank you very much for that, I do feel a little stupid now..., I completely forgot about the DG on the server.

Thanks again.

Jon

You are more than welcome. Happy holidays.

Haihua

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card