cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a way to restrict WiFi so only one app (apple or google) can run?

dbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco experts - I'm trying to determine if its possible to setup a wireless LAN so that only one app from the google and apple app stores will run.  The goal is to setup a wireless network for our customers to use that will let them download and run our app but nothing else.  Possible?  If so how would it be accomplished?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think this is possible.

You can use a proxy to redirect and only allow specific URL upon which the applications could be found. 

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Im really not sure how you would achieve something like this.

Will they be devices that you supply or are they BYOD devices?

I don't think it can be done via the Wifi but I suspect the devices can be restricted if you control those.

When you say 'our app', how does the app work? Does it connect to something on the internet or something locally on your network?

You could prevent an SSID having internet access and you should also be able to use some other control methods which ensure devices connecting to that SSID can only connect to certain private IP address or ranges if thats what you are trying to achieve?

Thanks

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm trying to determine if its possible to setup a wireless LAN so that only one app from the google and apple app stores will run.

Hmmmmm ... You mean that the once I join the SSID my smartphone or tablet will be prompted to download one app and one app only?

Hmmmm ... I've seen this several times.  Very popular in museums in Europe.  This can be done but not by the WLC by itself.  There is possible. 

Not only that, Apple is starting to implement a "location based" system where it'll advertise a store when the smartphone/tablet's built-in GPS has your location to be in front of this particular store.  Yes.  It can be done.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card