cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need assistance to upgrade Cisco Catalyst 2960XR-48FPD-I stacked Switch

vikram4
Level 1
Level 1

Iam planning to upgrade IOS in stacked switch 2960XR. Cisco doesn't have any documentation for steps to upgrade image in this switch model however it does have a document to upgrade image in 3750 stacked switch (link below). I have few questions:

1. Can the steps given for upgrading 3750 stacked switch be used exactly as it is for upgrading 2960XR switch model as well?

2. Is there any potential problem or bug that i need to be aware of when upgrading stacked switches that is not mentioned in cisco documentation?

3. Have you faced any particular issue with upgrading 2960XR stacked switch?

4. Which method of upgrading is more reliable - automatic upgrade using .tar method or manual upgrade using .bin method?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/64898-upgrade-3750-stack.html

2 Replies 2

Hi,

You can upgrade using the .bin or .tar method.

For .bin you have to copy the  IOS file to each of the flash directories (flash1: to the flashx, change the boot variable, save, verify with "sh boot" command and reboot the switch in a maintenance window.

boot system switch all flash:/IOS.bin

For the .tar upgrade You can use the following command  "archive download-sw tftp:///.tar" and the command will install the IOS to all the known members of the stack.

archive download-sw /reload <path to tar>

It takes forever to get it loaded and rebooted once you start, so make sure you have about an hour planned out for the upgrade.

Note: Don't use the bin file, use the tar file. You can then upgrade the whole stack with one command:

Do The "archive download-sw tftp://... .tar" command on the master, and be prepared to wait about a half hour or so. You may stop seeing progress in your terminal window. Eventually, you will get a message that the code upgrade is complete and be returned to the en prompt. Do a "wr mem" to make sure configure is commited. Then check run a "show bootvar" to make sure the switch is going to boot from the correct image when it powers up again.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/file_management/file_management/img_files.html#pgfId-1057352

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/field-notices/641/fn64175.html

BR

Tayyabmunir

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@vikram4 wrote:

Is there any potential problem or bug that i need to be aware of when upgrading stacked switches that is not mentioned in cisco documentation?

Depends on the version you're going to, the could be a "one time (only)" bootstrap upgrade and this will "delay" the bootup by up to 15 minutes. 

@vikram4 wrote:

Have you faced any particular issue with upgrading 2960XR stacked switch?

That will depend on what is the current version of the switch/stack.  There is a bootstrap bug in versions EX4 (to earlier) where the "reload" command issued after the IOS upgrade will cause the switch/stack to "hang".  The only way around this is to do a "hard" reboot (pull the power cord).

@vikram4 wrote:

Which method of upgrading is more reliable - automatic upgrade using .tar method or manual upgrade using .bin method?

Personally, I would never recommend anyone to upgrade the firmware of a switch/stack by simply copying the BIN file.  I have already seen the extended effect/outage/downtime when the BIN file is copied into the wrong appliance model, or switch isn't supported in that particular version or the BIN file is corrupted.  Always, always, always use the automatic upgrade method command "archive download-sw" because it is there to make life better for anyone.  

IOS Upgrade on Catalyst Switches 2K & 3K - Easy as Pi

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card