cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to turn off LEDs on switch CBS110-5T-D, I cannot sleep

berniebee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I cannot sleep with my unmanaged switch CBS110-5T-D blinking all night.

My bedroom is too dark and the LEDs light up the wall no matter where I place it or what I do. Tape and other barriers fall off, fail to block everything, or boil the heat back to the device.
I have been switching the power off at night but that means no internet nor TV for the rest of the house after I go to bed or before I get up... The switch must stay in my room for some practical reasons.

Please, is there a way to turn the LEDs off peacefully, with no harm done?
Thank you for a good night's sleep...

11 Replies 11

@berniebee hi, since this is unmanageable switch i dint think you can turn off lights using some setting.... most practical and passive way to make them off is put some black tapes on lights

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Tape was my first idea, ofc, but the heat made it fall off of did not close well enough because the LEDs are bulge-head (not flat) and there is no flat surface around them to tape efficiently

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Put a shoe box on top.  Make sure to leave the back open so the heat vents.

It does not help and it gets very hot in there or the light comes up. The problem is that they blink all the time, so even a little vent lights up. I have been dealing and experimenting with this for over a month. Boxes and tapes were short-lived because of the heat.

@berniebee use some plastic strip to cover all lights and glue that to lights using tape or strong glue.

Good luck
KB

That is the destructive solution I am trying to avoid: The LEDs have a function and I am sure I will need to use them in the near future to check any issues on the network: I have another 16-port switch down the line after this one in another room...

i mean do not apply glue over whole switch. just two drops and use 1 long plastic strip which can cover all lights or try to find some plastic clip which can fix to switch and replace as you wanted later.

Good luck
KB

It does not work... the LEDs are very round and protrude a lot from the housing while they are tightly clustered around the cable latch. That means that anything that can be an effective occlusion must be a contoured tight fit 3D shape with a complex 2D contour around the RJ terminals, and still, the light goes through the RJ terminals which are transparent. These LEDs were made to be easily seen and they did a very good job at it. I am swimming against the stream here. I was hoping for a software solution or perhaps even an easy hardware trick to turn them off...

As you can see on the photos:20230618_134616---1.jpg20230618_134545---2.jpg20230618_134545---3.jpg

As you can see on the photos I posted to my own reply

berniebee
Level 1
Level 1

I would appreciate some useful help, please. I uploaded some pictures here above to explain the issue better.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card