Views
Helpful
Replies

Neighbor Discovery Via Console Port

Rem Markov
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there fellows!

So We received new Cisco C8300-2N2S-4T2X with `16 port Async Serial NIM` module.

Is there a way to preform a cdp/lldp/something in the sense on a console server over async port/console port and receive just the hostname of the fellow switch/device?

I'm trying to monitor that the connectivity is correct, And I think it is the best way, if it exists. 

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In theory two devices connected via async could do something like CDP or LLDP but don't recall any such protocol having been proposed let alone implemented.

Possibly if you can further describe your need, alternatives might be suggested.

Hey! Thank you for the quick response.

My main goal is to monitor if Console Connections are connected correctly

I'm trying, using napalm module in python, to receive the host name of the network device that is connected via the async console.

Currently the idea is to manually ssh to the catalysts and then telnet from within to the asyncs.

My main issue with this, is that it requires 2 logins, and for some reason to press the enter key when telneting from within the catalyst.

I thought if I could just get the neighbours via the consoles, it would have made my life that much easier.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card