cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Discovery

Antony_85
Level 1
Level 1

Hay guy, I am in bit of a limbo here. I am fairly new to this organization. I am tasked with various network audits and one of them is to map what’s connected to what?

I have about 20 odd cisco 2960/2950 series switches where I have terminal access to most of them. I already figured out how and where each switch is connected and to further document the system I need to find out what device is connected to each switch.

This segment of the network runs across about 4 VLAs (that I know of) and I don’t have access to any device connected to these VLANs. Fair enough as it’s a production environment and each operations engineer will not allow outside access to their network.

I don’t have access to any PC/Server connected to this network. For any test/discoveries I run; I have to put a text PC on the network and isolate it from outside.

So; how can I find out what device is connected to which switch (with port number) and the Ip address of the device? There’s no DHCP running and IP addresses are assigned manually. I do have a list of all the device names and their IP addresses but I can’t rely on it as it hasn’t been updated for years.

Any thoughts?

1 Reply 1

Hi,

you can easily use Cisco CDP to discover and map the network device connectivity. then use IP scanner to identify the devices connected to network. if you need to determine exact ports connected for PCs, you can use ARP table to map MAC addresses of PCs which you learned from IP scanner (in same VLAN or L2 domain)

rate this and mark as answer, if this helped you

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card