cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

network problem URGENT!

franklin186
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know much about servers and knows a little about cisco. We have a server in the campus data center and we have some users in a building in the same campus having slowness problems connectingto the server in the afternoons. We have other users in a seperate building and different vlan who can connect to the server with no problems. How can start looking into this problem and why would be

some reasons for this to happen?

5 Replies 5

peterson.dave
Level 1
Level 1

Download ethereal and plug a box into that Vlan to capture some packets. Look through what you capture and see what the traffic is.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not knowing your network setup you need to look at all the connections between the slow vlan and your server for errors , speed/duplex mismatches and somehow get a look at the utilization of those connecting links .

Look at the port settings and all are 100/full. The connecting links are ok. The problems is itermitent.

Frank

I didn't think it was a duplex problem because you said it is only in the afternoon. This is why I suggested that you get a sniffing tool and see what traffic is taking up all of the bandwidth.

JOHN VOLTER
Level 1
Level 1

check if there are any backups going at that time. make sure that no one is using Norton Ghost or similar application, that floods the network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco