Helpful
Replies

new vlan won't show up in routing table

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

On a 2811 running

Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

I've created a vlan 50 and placed a port in that vlan. The vlan will not show up in the routing table.

Usually when you create a local vlan it shows up as

C       10.15.50.0 is directly connected, Vlan50

I do have a port in this vlan, but there's nothing connected.

Shouldn't matter as I have done a dozen other with nothing connected and they all show the vlan in the routing table.

Any ideas what to try next? I'm planning on rebooting over the weekend.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can you post sh run?

2811 is a router and unless you have a switch module, you can't create vlans.

If there is nothing connected to the vlan, then the vlan is not in up and up mode, so you will not see the subnet in the routing table.

HTH

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I can't post it. Guess I need to write an Python routine to sanitize.

I'm doing a dozen of these 2811s together. This is the only one that behaves like this and several others have nothing connected, so maybe it's a ios version thing.

Actually I'm thinking it may be because this vlan should have been created with the older version of the command.

Be assured the vlan shows up as connected regardless of anything is connected. I have several routers as such.

Just tried the old vlan command made no difference. Will be rebooting this weekend.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco