cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie question

Shane-brasher1
Level 1
Level 1

Please forgive what I'm sure is a simple question. I am new to CISCO products and am starting from scratch. 
In my endeavors to obtain my CCNA I am looking to buy hardware from ebay. If I need to update the IOS and\or firmware, is this something   that I would have to pay for? Basically pay for the IOS download.  I'm sure I'm butchering up terminology and again apologies. If I'm in the wrong forum group please feel free to redirect me to the correct one. 

Thanks
Shane

4 Replies 4

Generally, yes, you need a contract to access downloads. Find out for yourself for sure though, and start familiarizing yourself with Cisco's site by heading over to https://software.cisco.com/download, and entering the model of equipment you are looking at. 

If you look at the download you are interested in they will have some symbols beside them on the right. (Common ones are lock, lock with a white box) Mouse over the symbols and they tell you what is required, EG: "Login required", or "Login & Valid Contract Required". 

There are other great ways to familiarize yourself with IOS too. For example you could look at getting Packet Tracer from the Cisco Networking Academy, or look at simulators like GNS3 or VIRL. 

That was a faster response than what I expected.  Excellent advice thank you for that.
I guess what makes the most sense is to get my feet wet with CCNA and packet tracer and should I choose to go any deeper THEN consider buying some hardware. 

I noticed that CISCO offers selling refurbished devices, I wonder if purchased if the contract is included in the price.

Anyway, thanks again for the direction.

Shane

Shane,

You could just download the IOS from cisco website and use Vmware software  or virtual-box can be installed on windows to run the IOS. you need to work on lab environment anyway.

you have also packet-tracer as an simulator and GNS3 as an emulator. if you can work with those softwares there will be no need to spend money on purchasing new or refurbished routers or switches

hope that helps

Regards

That was a faster response than what I expected.  Excellent advice thank you for that.
I guess what makes the most sense is to get my feet wet with CCNA and packet tracer and should I choose to go any deeper THEN consider buying some hardware. 

I noticed that CISCO offers selling refurbished devices, I wonder if purchased if the contract is included in the price.

Anyway, thanks again for the direction.

Shane

Hi Shane,

As suggested by Saif, GNS3 is very freeware tool which gives a real time simulation effect and you can practice till CCIE level lab and scenarios.

Hope that Helps..

--GI

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card