Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie trying to get 2 switches to talk to each other

alanraczek11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have been a Systems Administrator for over 20 years so the network admin stuff is a bit challenging for me. I have two switches, a Cisco 2960 and a Cisco 3750. I wiped out the 2960 switch and configured it from scratch. Configured a hostname, IP address for VLAN 1, and a trunk port (mode trunk, switchport nonegotiate,trunk allowed vlan 34,110). I configured a trunk port on the 3750 in a similar way, allowing said vlans. On vlan 110 (3750) there is an ip address of 10.16.16.4. From my 2960 switch I cannot ping that address. Admittedly I am a little confused, I know I am missing something. I just want to know these 2 switches are talking. Essentially I want o be able go through our dev network through the 3750 to the 2960. And be able to manage the 2960 from our dev network on 10.16.16.x,

What could I be missing?

16 Replies 16

Hello,

If I am not mistaking, you have configured the layer 3 part of the Vlans (with command (config)# interface vlan x and give an IP address) but you have not declared the Vlans at Layer 2 level (command (config)# vlan x).

I would suggest first to disable as well VTP on both switches, if you are not familiar with it, which is normally set as VTP server by default (command (config)# vtp mode transparent ).

And as indicated previously, have one IP for Vlan 110 on both Switch if it's with that vlan you want to manage and ping the switches.

Good news! It's working!

So as I did a 'sho vlan' I did not see my 110 vlan in the output which seemed strange to me even though I gave the vlan

an IP address. At the suggestion of LaurentRA I declared the vlan and gave it a name. Sure enough the port the'test' laptop is hanging off of went green instead of amber. Thank you!

So I went through the messages and this is my summary, tell me if I am wrong or if you can elaborate that would be great:

Switch Changes

- Had the IP address on vlan1 (10.16.16.55), removed IP from vlan1 and put IP on
    vlan 110
- #sho ip interface brief <--- to show STATUS and PROTOCOL (had both showing down down)
- defined vlan 110 with a name as 'sho vlan' did not show a layer 2 vlan
config# vlan 110
conf-if# name PALADIN

- added ip gateway 10.16.16.1

I can also ping the 2960 test switch through the network from my 10.16.16.xxx desktop. Also from my VM where I am evaluating network management software to manage this test switch.

THANK YOU ALL for your persistence in helping me. Really paid off and I DO appreciate it!

...alan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card