Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 3000 - L2 Prevent Traffic and Limit Broadcasts

hudib
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

I have an issue that I'm having a hard time solving.  Did a lot of reading and tried some of the things on this board, but cannot get it to work how I like.

Background:

Nexus Switch01 in L2 with no VLANs has 40 hosts connected to it.  STP is disabled.  Mac address table is dynamically updated.  Each host is in pairs of 2, meaning -- host01 on port01 and host02 on port02 have their IP address configured on the same subnet, host03 on port03 and host04 on port04 same subnet, etc.. all the way up to host39 on port39 and host40 on port40 being on the same subnet.   There is a PTP time machine on port 48

Issue #1

If host01 gets disconnected, host02 will start flooding the switch looking for host01 and cause issues with all the other hosts.

What's the best approach to prevent these floods?  I tried using switchport block multicast and switchport block unicast, but the other ports still get the flood from host02 on port02 looking for host01 on port01.

Now it's not as simple (or maybe it is) as putting the two ports in a seperate VLAN since each of these ports gets a PTP signal from a machine on port 48.

Issue #2

How can I make port 48 (the ptp machine) ingress only, meaning this port will only receive traffic from this machine and this port will not send traffic.

Hope it's clear what I'm asking. 

Thanks!!!!

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post your configuration to asses what is the issue here ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

All ports are configured as such:

interface Ethernet1/1
ptp
ptp sync interval -3
mtu 9216
fec rs-fec
switchport block multicast
switchport block unicast