cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 3548 doesnt seem to support rspan ?

normbeef
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot create an Rspan vlan on the Nexus 3548,  Checking the NXOS it doesnt appear at all ?

Any ideas ?

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Looks like there the same as  the newer 9ks only span and erspan looking at the data sheet for that model

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-3548-switch/data_sheet_c78-707001.html

Advanced traffic mirroring: The Algo Boost technology on the Cisco Nexus 3500 platform facilitates not only network troubleshooting by supporting Cisco Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) and Encapsulated Remote SPAN (ERSPAN) technologies, but also in-service network monitoring with enhancements including the capability to:

Apply user-configurable filters to reduce the amount of captured traffic to a specified flow or protocol

Capture a sample of eligible packets, such as one out of every thousand

Truncate packets after a user-defined threshold

Insert a nanosecond-level timestamp in the ERSPAN header of captured packets (requires ERSPAN and Precision Time Protocol [PTP])

Table 2.       Software Licensing for Cisco Nexus 3500

Software Package

Features Supported

System default (no license required)

Comprehensive Layer 2 feature set: VLAN, IEEE 802.1Q trunking, Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP), Unidirectional Link Detection (UDLD; Standard and Aggressive), Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP), Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), and Spanning Tree Protocol guard
  Security: Authentication, authorization, and accounting (AAA), access control lists (ACLs), storm control, and configurable Control-Plane Policing (CoPP)
  Management features: Cisco Data Center Network Manager (DCNM) support, Secure Shell Version 2 (SSHv2) access, Cisco Discovery Protocol, SNMP, syslog, and IEEE 1588 PTP
  Monitoring features: Advanced buffer monitoring, SPAN, and ERSPAN

So the issue I have is that we use an RSPAN vlan for monitoring upstream of the Nexus, and this will be trunked down to the 3548 where the collector is plugged in so we can use 10Gb.   it was my belief that the RSPAN vlan needs to be created on the switch collecting the destination port traffic ? .   I cannot find any information about how to inter-operate between IOS and NX OS  for this situation ?

It appears that Cisco have simply omitted this from there product ??  for what reason i do not know !! 

I guess the i could SPAN the trunks locally and see what happens.?? 

Looks like this might be the reason nexus dont use rspan

The Nexus can't do RSPAN. It can't disable MAC address learning per VLAN which is needed for RSPAN. It can only disable MAC address learning per port but that would affect all traffic.

So you may be stuck with span locally

I cannot believe that nobody else has this issue!!,  I have two 6500's that hold the source ports, and a nexus 3524 that has the destination port to the collector.   if the nexus wont support RSPAN  I cannot see how else it could work ??? 

These switches are inter-connected, thus there is a looped Layer 2 topology, I am not comfortable pumping local SPAN traffic via both links to the nexus.

Does anyone have a workable solution to this ??? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card