cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7Ks and Wake on Lan

Michael Zink
Level 1
Level 1

I've been working on getting wake on LAN setup in our corp network.  At the center of our network are a pair of Nexus 7Ks.  While I have been successful in getting WoL to work over UDP 7 across subnets and out to our remote sites, I have not been successful in getting it to work with any other UDP ports.  My initial non-UDP 7 attempt was using UDP 17636 which I have verifed is an unassigned port.

My question is, is there something special about UDP 7?  I've been looking around the net in my spare time the past few days, and it seems like the folks who report success are all using UDP 7.

I admit I was surprised that it worked through the Nexus since the ip helper-address and ip forward-protocol commands are not available.  I chose to try using the ip dhcp relay command that is available in the Nexus OS, and did use the ip directed-broacast on the VLAN interfaces, but haven't had the time to experiement any further.

2 Replies 2

Richard Michael
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

UDP 7 is standard WoL port. Check out the bug, CSCtj78445

Richard

Good afternoon and thank you for the reply, but that link doesn't seem to work.  I tried it from a couple of different locations and had someone else try, but we both got the server cannot be found message.

Would you be kind enough to check the link and let me know, please?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card