cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9332PQ Speed Groups

jzetterman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, I'm trying to configure a QSFP to SFP+ adapter on a port on my new Nexus 9332PQ switch. I see that I need to adjust the port group on one of the speed-group modules, however, I can't find any information about what port ranges constitute the different speed-group's. I did find this: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_chapter_010.html

However, it only references 9396, 93128, and 937x devices. I was assured by my vendor that this switch supported a QSFP to SFP+ adapter, so I'm assuming it's just a newer model and that config guide just hasn't been updated. Can someone help me out?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Parten
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, this in deed does support the QSA adapter as I am using it presently. However, it appears the documentation is not updated properly to also include the "groups of 6 ports" to also include the Nexus 9332PQ switch, as the limitation exists on there. Thus, I had to configure the speed-group 10000 on port 1/27 to get ports 1/27 - 1/32 to operate with the QSA adapter. 

So, in all, the group of 6 ports will start with the first interface you have selected and, counting that first interface as 1, the next 5 ports will be QSA adapter capable. Not sure if this is a "bug" or just an oversight in the documentation. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Robert Parten
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, this in deed does support the QSA adapter as I am using it presently. However, it appears the documentation is not updated properly to also include the "groups of 6 ports" to also include the Nexus 9332PQ switch, as the limitation exists on there. Thus, I had to configure the speed-group 10000 on port 1/27 to get ports 1/27 - 1/32 to operate with the QSA adapter. 

So, in all, the group of 6 ports will start with the first interface you have selected and, counting that first interface as 1, the next 5 ports will be QSA adapter capable. Not sure if this is a "bug" or just an oversight in the documentation. 

Interesting. I did figure out today that port 27 allowed me to set the speed group to 10000. When I look at the interface now it says speed-group 10000, interestingly though, the other ports (28-32) don't indicate their speed group, which is somewhat annoying. It would be really great if you could set the speed on a port-by-port basis. Having to change the speed on 6 ports just to get connectivity over one is definitely not ideal and pretty wasteful. Thank goodness I didn't have to throw away ports 1-12 or 14-26 though I guess.

Yeah, it would be pretty nice to see that configuration "auto-expand" to the other 5 ports but it looks like it is just a fact of knowing wherever you configure speed-group 10000 the next 5 ports will automatically be configured for it. Maybe there is already a bug for this reported and will be resolved soon. 

Nonetheless, congrats on figuring it out!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card