cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus environment replacement

louis22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, In the near future I will get the task to renew the network hardware in the data center. So far we have two N5k with four N2k each as fabric extender in use. The two N5k are configured as vPc peers. Virtual machines and servers are connected with vpc to two different fabric extenders each, in order to create a failsafe and to be able to perform ISSU updates without interruption.

We plan to replace the N5k with slightly "larger" Nexus 9300 and the N2K with slightly "smaller" Nexus 9300 as fabric extenders. this means to rebuilding the old design.

I realize that the future of data center best practices is in a different. (ACI or VXLAN) However, I think the traditional design meets our needs and requirements.

Now my question is, do you disagree with here to replace the N5k with n9k and also the N2k with n9k as fabric extender? Are there perhaps more elegant options?

Thanks a lot

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do not need VXLAN and ACI and your other ifrastructure does not required.

i go like to like Migration to nexus 9300 and FEX 9K

in the OLD design i am not sure is the FEX are dual homed, if they are that is best way to go, if not i would you to consider this time, so your ISSU works as expected and in control manner. if not when the upgrade take place parent Switch reboots  (single home connection) FEX also reboots - this will have impact on the network,

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

What has this to do with Collaboration? I'm moving your post to the Switching area of the community as it fits better there.

Response Signature

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card