Nexus vPC | Orphan Ports

zekebashi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Topology is as follows:

vPC Domain 10
NX5k_A peer member is connected to NX5K_B peer member via peer-link port
HostZ is connected to both vPC peers using a vPC114/port-channel114)
HostZ is using vPC VLANs (VLANs are members of the peer-link)

HostZ is an ESXi.

Here's the question:
- The output from the lacp neighbor command shows that HostZ is not establishing lacp peering with neither NX5K_A nor NX5K_B; however, the output from the show vpc command shows that the vpc is up/up.

Note: Command used to verify LACP establishment " sh lacp neighbor interface port-channel 114"  -- -See attached.

My thought is that from both vpc peers, the vpc is setup properly; however, HostZ isn't configured for LAG/Port-Channeling!

Is HostZ considered a single-attached host and the vPC member ports are considered orphan ports?

Thanks in adavance,
~zK

18 Replies 18

so we can say that these ports are non-orphan ports/ vPC member ports; however, operating in stand-alone and not in a port-channel.

Given this type of topology and port connectivity; I am assuming that it would be wise to enable all of the recommended vpc parameters; such as, peer gateway and peer-gateway?

Best, ~zK

so we can say that these ports are non-orphan ports/ vPC member ports; however, operating in stand-alone and not in a port-channel.

Yes

Given this type of topology and port connectivity; I am assuming that it would be wise to enable all of the recommended vpc parameters; such as, peer gateway and peer-gateway?

Yes, it's a good idea to configure these parameters.

HTH

Awesome!

Thanks much, Reza!

Much appreciated.

Best, ~zK

Sure!

Good luck with your project!

Reza

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card