cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

nm-4T1

smcline06
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a litle confution on 2 pieces of equipment and there compatability to one another. I am currently in the process of learing for my CCNA which I am sure this info is elementry to most.

After some research I understand the nm-4T1 ATM card is not compatable wit hthe WIC-1T1CSU card, my original plan was to hook 4 wics to 1 nm card (the wic'c would have been on diffrent units) this if for a little home lab I am working on. If this is true i assume ATM can only connect to ATM

Also could I connect 2x nm-4T1 to 1 nm-8T1 (the 4T1's being on 2 diffrent routers) Thanks for you input and please ask if something isnt clear (^.^)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sean,

your understanding is correct

an ATM T1 and a normal T1 are two different beasts that cannot interoperate: the first one sends fixed size 53 bytes ATM cells over VPI/VCI logical circuits, the second one can be used in framed or unframed mode to build a sync serial link with encapsulation HDLC or PPP.

>> Also could I connect 2x nm-4T1 to 1 nm-8T1 (the 4T1's being on 2 diffrent routers)

by using the correct cables and by making one side to provide OSI layer 1 clock you can do this

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sean,

your understanding is correct

an ATM T1 and a normal T1 are two different beasts that cannot interoperate: the first one sends fixed size 53 bytes ATM cells over VPI/VCI logical circuits, the second one can be used in framed or unframed mode to build a sync serial link with encapsulation HDLC or PPP.

>> Also could I connect 2x nm-4T1 to 1 nm-8T1 (the 4T1's being on 2 diffrent routers)

by using the correct cables and by making one side to provide OSI layer 1 clock you can do this

Hope to help

Giuseppe

When you say correct cables, do both technologies use T1 corssover (via Cat5e/6) or are they diffrent cord configurations? For study and common day relavence is ATM used in todays world anymore? Is it worh implemeting it in my Lab? I wanted to get more hands on with T1 connections and the nm/wic cards are cheap. Not to mention I love the fact I can creat my own cables via crimping.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card