Views
Helpful
Replies

no boot system

Rajeev Ranjan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends,

I am facing a problem. I have 2960 series switch.It has two IOS image.One is 12.2(25)lanbase and other is 12.2(37).one of my couleage issued a command 'no boot system'.At that time switch boots from 12.2(37).Yesterday after reload, switch boots from v12.2(25).whats the issue?what if i dont set boot parameters?kindly help

2 Replies 2

Kasiraman S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rajeev,

If boot parameters are not set, the first IOS file in Flash memory is loaded; if that fails looks for the second one(If it is available), then the router/switch broadcasts looking for an IOS on a TFTP server. If that fails, IOS from ROM is loaded

Do rate helpful post.

Thanks,

Kasi.

ranraju
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you do a "no boot system", the BOOT environment variable will be reset. If you do not set the boot parameters, then the switch will attempt to load and execute the first executable image from the flash file system. It performs a recursive, depth-first search through the file system. In the depth-first search of a directory, each encontered subdirectory is completely searched before continuing the search in the orginal directory.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Ranraju

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card