cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No space left to add device on Cisco Packet Tracer UI

ASD49
Level 1
Level 1

I am quite new to cisco packet tracer and I am designing a large network but the UI is very limited and very small and I am running out of place to add devices.

I have tried clustering but is there a way to increase the size of  the canvas I am working with?

Any help will be appreciated!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

That could just be the subnets you need to make but not necessarily need to add on the simulator. Like @MHM Cisco World said as long as you have 1 or 2 devices per subnet to test reachability it should be fine. (but also clarify with the instructor if you can) If it says you need 30 hosts in this subnet and 12 hosts in another, instead of putting 42 hosts in packet tracer you would just need to create the networks that can support that many devices and the couple of devices you add would just have IPs from that subnet with a default gateway and such.

-David

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

One point here 

You need only one pc for each subnet 

Add many pc for same subnet is useless.

Great point, but unfortunately the number of end devices required per subnet is stated in the assignment and I cannot change that.

Hello,

That could just be the subnets you need to make but not necessarily need to add on the simulator. Like @MHM Cisco World said as long as you have 1 or 2 devices per subnet to test reachability it should be fine. (but also clarify with the instructor if you can) If it says you need 30 hosts in this subnet and 12 hosts in another, instead of putting 42 hosts in packet tracer you would just need to create the networks that can support that many devices and the couple of devices you add would just have IPs from that subnet with a default gateway and such.

-David

Hello,

which version of Packet Tracer are you using ? If you use the scroll bars at the bottom and right, the UI is rather large, and (at least in version 8.1.1) I can fit hundreds of devices. Can you post a screenshot showing the small UI you have ?

I am using V 8.1.1 and although the UI is large my devices cannot go any further (horizontally) than the picture attached below. There seems to be some kind of hidden barrier there.

CitrusSwitch
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone encountering issues such as "my UI is too large," "icons are too large," "workspace won't fit," etc., here are some steps you can try:

1. Icons and UI Size Issues:

• If icons are too large or the UI is disproportionate (like massive toolbar icons, oversized menu bars, big fonts, cramped workspace, or dialogs going off-screen), consider the following:
      • Try adjusting the DPI settings specifically for Packet Tracer:
        • Right-click the Packet Tracer .exe shortcut, then go to "Properties > Compatibility tab > Change high DPI settings."
        • Experiment with different values, lowering it if it's too high.
      • Alternatively, adjust the DPI settings for the Windows OS:
        • Navigate to "Control Panel > Display Settings > Scale."
        • If it's set to 150%, try reducing it to 100%.
      • You can also change the font size within Packet Tracer itself:
        • Go to "Options > Preferences > Font Tab > Size" and decrease the font size.
      • Adjusting the resolution of the Windows OS might also help, though the impact can vary based on your setup.
    • Remember to close and reload Packet Tracer after each change to see the effects.
  2. Customizing Sizes for Cities, Buildings, Cabinets, etc.:

• If you're facing issues with the size of cities, intercities, buildings, generic containers, or wiring cabinets (such as the default 20m x 20m size for a wiring cabinet):
      • To adjust sizes, navigate to the specific level of the entity you want to modify:
        • For city dimensions, go to the "city level."
        • For building dimensions, enter the building's level.
      • Once you're within the entity you want to alter, click "Set Background Image," the third icon from the last in the top-right corner of Packet Tracer's UI (it looks like a picture of a mountain).
      • Within this setting, you can modify the "physical properties" of the entity.
      • For example, if you want to resize a wiring cabinet, enter the wiring cabinet, click "Set Background Image," and adjust its "physical properties" to a realistic size.
      • This way, you can accurately fit to-scale floor plans within the UI's space.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card