cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not sure where to configure the storm-control

ohforce55
Level 1
Level 1
We have a lot of users connecting to the access layer switches, and some users cause to make broadcast issue.

I heard that storm control works only inbound? So I want to know where to configure the storm control. Please see attached.

1. Red? (Access layer switch going to the Dist switch)
  2. Green? (Dist switch going to access switch)
  3. Blue? (Dist switch going to core switch)
  4. Purple? (core switch going to the dist switch)
Or do I need to configure the storm control on the user interfaces directly? 
Btw the core switch is cisco3850 and DIST is delta switch and the access layer switches are all cisco.

Please let me know!

Thanks!
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Storm control is generally configured on user access ports.

you asked .. "do I need to configure the storm control on the user interfaces directly?" 

Definitely yes.

Control the storm as close to the source as possible before reaching the uplinks and distribution switches. 

View solution in original post

Hello

Storm control is usually applied as close to the end hosts as possible (access-ports) so to negate excessive flooding of traffic from any source for a particular type of traffic be it unicast/broadcast/or multicast.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Storm control is generally configured on user access ports.

you asked .. "do I need to configure the storm control on the user interfaces directly?" 

Definitely yes.

Control the storm as close to the source as possible before reaching the uplinks and distribution switches. 

Hello

Storm control is usually applied as close to the end hosts as possible (access-ports) so to negate excessive flooding of traffic from any source for a particular type of traffic be it unicast/broadcast/or multicast.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Red and Green
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card