Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP on Cisco 2960-X

tmourelle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Firstly, how would I default NTP to factory settings? To remove any previous NTP servers from the switch with one command instead of removing them manually one by one?

Then how do set my NTP server on my Cisco 2960-X?

I can set the server, which I have, however, I need to set the clock timezone, I'm unsure what this is.

Videos on YouTube are putting in 'clock timezone BR -3 0'

I'm unsure if I should put this as I'm sure my timezone is not 'BR'. I am from the United Kingdom, what should I put?

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

....>To remove any previous NTP servers from the switch with one command
       - Not possible because the NTP directives are part of the running configuration (configuring elements) ; they always need to be handled one by one ,either when creating or removing in the running configuration

>...Then how do set my NTP server on my Cisco 2960-X?
                 ntp server ip_addr           (in configuration mode)

>... I am from the United Kingdom, what should I put?
              Try something like : clock timezone BST  , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

What would I put for offset?

tmourelle_0-1718716341386.png

Also, would I need to change this when the clocks go forward? I want this to be fully automatic you see as I have 30 switches.

Hello,

You might be able to remove NTP with a single command of:

config t

no ntp

-Be careful as some virtualized environments reboot the device when that command is entered. Haven't tried it in production.

-David

Thanks.

Will try on a test switch.

tmourelle
Level 1
Level 1

What would I put for offset after defining BST or GMT?

tmourelle_0-1718882053227.png

Also, would I need to change this when the clocks go forward? I want this to be fully automatic you see as I have 30 switches.

>....I want this to be fully automatic you see as I have 30 switches.
                - Use : clock timezone BST 0
                             clock summer-time BST recurring last Sun Mar 0:00 last Sun Oct 0:00

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @tmourelle 

To reset the NTP configuration on a C2960-X switch to factory settings, you need to remove each NTP server manually as Cisco IOS does not provide a single command to clear all NTP servers at once. Enter global configuration mode and use the no ntp server <ip-address> command for each configured server. To set your NTP server, enter global configuration mode and use the ntp server <ip-address> command. For setting the clock timezone for the United Kingdom, configure the timezone to GMT by using the clock timezone GMT 0 command.

Additionally, to account for British Summer Time (BST), configure the daylight saving time adjustment with clock summer-time BST recurring last Sun Mar 1:00 last Sun Oct 2:00. This configuration will set your timezone to GMT and automatically adjust for BST. 

configure terminal
no ntp server <ip-address-1>
no ntp server <ip-address-2>
ntp server <ip-address>
clock timezone GMT 0
clock summer-time BST recurring last Sun Mar 1:00 last Sun Oct 2:00

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi,

Thanks, however this has only kind of worked:

tmourelle_0-1718887415692.png

@tmourelle 

Please do #show ntp associations and #show ntp status

and share here these outputs.

Thanks.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Hi, 

It's not associated with anything, which is odd as the command ran and came back with no errors.

Could this be a DNS issue as its a domain name and not an IP address?

tmourelle_0-1718892206107.png

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card