cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

On cisco 3640(DRAM:32M,Flash:8M), which IOS version support ipv6 RIP?

snowflys_yeh
Level 1
Level 1

Dear

I have the cisco 3640 with IOS Version 12.2(46) , and it with DRAM:32M , Flash:8M.

What IOS version can support IPv6 RIP in the hardware limit?

Thank you very much .

BRs

snowfly

4 Replies 4

handoko wiyanto
Level 3
Level 3

hi,

after going to cisco.com/go/fn and choosing by feature and put IPV6 Routing: RIP for IPV6 (RIPng)

choosing for 3640 platform, i cant find ios with DRAM 32M

here i attached my search result.

regards,                   

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 3640 has been a dead product since 2007  which is really before the IPV6 stuff got started so its not likely they will have an old version with that support on it  , specially with that little DRAM and flash installed.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What IOS version can support IPv6 RIP in the hardware limit?

Haven't played with this model since 2007.  I'm with Glen.  The answer to your question is "IPv6 NOT supported in 3640".

Firstly, the hardware CPU doesn't have enough grunt and this model does not (and WILL NOT) have enough memory to support IPv6 IP addressing.

jaetb
Level 1
Level 1

I realize this is an old post but I stumbled across it recently and had something to add.

Cisco 3600 series IOS 12.4 does have IPv6 support, however you will need to have at least 128M RAM and 32M Flash, best place for that is on EBay.  I discovered this when I decied to see what I could do with my 3640 to keep using it and save the money having to replace it.  Also check your BOOT ROM version, get the latest.

I have not tested this solution yet, so compare the cost to upgrade this router versus the cost to replace it.

As the previous post said it been a dead product for 7 years.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card