cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Out of Band Management

abarb002
Level 1
Level 1

I have been told that I need to set up out of band management for our LAN. I don't need to access the network from a remote site, I just need to be able to access the network via a switch from within the building. I have RDP setup and ssh via my radius server, but I also am now required to have OOBM configured as well. This is a closed network with one layer 3 switch and about 20 layer two switches (3850s and 3750s). I have been reading about this all day, but the more I read the more hesitant I become. I'm asking here because all of my switches are Cisco devices and most of you have done this already. Thanks in advance.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure exactly what model 3750s and 3850s you have but if they have an out-of-band management work, you simply connect that to a switch and put all the ports on that switch on one vlan/subnet. You also need to give each switch on IP address. If the switches don't have an out-of-band management port, you can designate a regular port from each switch for this propose.

HTH 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure exactly what model 3750s and 3850s you have but if they have an out-of-band management work, you simply connect that to a switch and put all the ports on that switch on one vlan/subnet. You also need to give each switch on IP address. If the switches don't have an out-of-band management port, you can designate a regular port from each switch for this propose.

HTH 

Yes this helped. I used an access port via the management vlan to establish a connection. I did however have to add an permit statement to my acl. Thanks

BTW, for "true" out-of-band, you don't want the management VLAN to be on any of your "normal" switches.

Good luck with your project!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card