Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet drops !!!!!!

Nitzbegin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a topology were, im using a Switcg 3560(L2), and a Router.. and 10 Systems connected to the Switch ( Access Ports- Port Fast configured).

Highlevel Diagram:

SYSTEMS(A) (VLAN100) >>ACCESS>> Switch(Sw1) >>>> TRUNK>>>> Router(R1)

Eveerything working fine !!!

But when i PING from my R1 to my switch( MGMT IP) ( Im geting packet drops ).But when i ping from R1 >>>>> System ( its working fine )

Please let me know Y ????

Awaiting ur reply.

Thanks,

Nithin M

5 Replies 5

Vignesh Rajendran Praveen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nithin,

The packets from the Router to the System is transit traffic for the Switch. This transit traffic would be forwarded in Hardware on the Switch and would not hit the CPU. But the packets from the router to the switch management IP is handled by the CPU of the Switch as it is directed to the Switch.

Now if the CPU utilistion is high or if there is COPP/rate limiters protecting the CPU on the switch then there are high chances of the packets to get dropped.

So kindly check the same on the Switch & that might help you resolve the issue.

***********Plz do rate this post if you found it helpful*************************

Thanks & Regards,

Vignesh R P

if you are using 3560 for l2 purpose only then diable ip routing on that switch.

no ip routing

***Rate Helpful Posts***

Jawad

Jawad

Jawad

Thanks Jawad,

Yeah i had seen and found tat was also not available on my platform. Its a L2

Thanks,

Nithin

Thanks for your reply Vignesh.

Yeah i have see throu my configs and found that we dont have anything like (srr,rate limit queue configured on our devices.)

But its still showing the packet drops. !!

Nithin

Hi,

Pls ensure ip default-gateway command is present on switch as you are not suing "ip routing"

Br/Subhojit

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card