Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Loss Over Trunk Port | Thoughts?

CoachChan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am currently experiencing packet loss on a trunk port from one switch to another. I am at a loss to determine what is the issue.

Both switches are C2960X on ver 15.2(2)E5. VLANs match on both ports. Attached are pictures to help reference the issue. If anyone needs more information, let me know. I will provide it asap!

Thanks in advance!

11 Replies 11

Are you use any broadcast multicast strom control?

MHM

Thanks for your quick reply MHM,

Not to my knowledge. How can I go about identifying this is the issue?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

A couple of questions:

How do these switches connect to each other?

Is there just a regular 1/10 Gig interface or you are using a portchannel?

Also, can you post the outout of the interfaces invloved in this connectivity?

sh interface gix/x/x or show interface tex/x/x

HTH

How do these switches connect to each other?

Rus1 (Switch) --> SFP 1Gig CAT6 --> Patchbox CAT 5e --> Patchbox CAT 5e --> SFP 1Gig CAT 5e --> Rus2(Switch).

Is there just a regular 1/10 Gig interface or you are using a portchannel?

SPF 1Gig interface | No portchannel to my knowledge

can you post the outout of the interfaces invloved in this connectivity?

See attached picture

So, the output you posted shows that one side is 10Gig (te1/0/1) and the other side is one 1 gig.

Can you clarify? 

Also, post the output of:

"sh interface te1/0/1" and the same for the other switch.

HTH

So, the output you posted shows that one side is 10Gig (te1/0/1) and the other side is one 1 gig.

Can you clarify? 

From Rus1 (switch) --> Rus2 (switch) is a 1gig connection with CAT 5e/6 [ Rus1.Rus2.SwitchConfig.png ]

From Rus1 (switch) --> Nexus 1 (Router) is a 10gig fiber connection [ Rus1.TE.Nexus1.Eth4.png ]

Also, post the output of:

"sh interface te1/0/1" and the same for the other switch.

Rus2 does not have a te connection. The fiber connection comes through Rus1 and is shared to Rus2 to the trunk port having packet loss issues.

Both switches are C2960X on ver 15.2(2)E5.

Based on your first post, they are both 2960x switches. So, how could one switch have te and not the other one unless one of them is a nexus switch?

Also, I think the packet loss comes from converting from fiber to copper. I would look into that.

HTH

I will explain the connection below to hopefully clarify what you are confused about.

RUS 2 stack (2nd floor of building A) --> RUS 1 stack (1st floor of building A) [ Connected via CAT 5e/6]

RUS 1 stack (1st floor of the building A) --> Nexus 1 (Server Room of building B) [Connected via 10gig fiber underground]

The packet loss issue we are attempting to solve is located in the trunk port between Rus2 stack and Rus1 stack via the CAT 5e/6 cables.

RUS1 is the only stack with a direct fiber connection, which it shares via trunk port to RUS2 stack using CAT5e/6.

RUS2 does not have a dedicated fiber connection, hence no te port for that stack.

there is NSK and as I see there is no storm control config under the interface 
then last this check if you have NSK in your network is 
CoPP 
show policy-map interface control-plane | egrep class|module|violated|dropped | diff -y

check this command do you see and drop in any class map

MHM

I have attached the output of the command. It does show packet loss in multiple areas. After review, what would your recommendation be to begin solving this issue?

There is drop (in l3uc and multicast and etc..)' so I think the traffic is higher than rate config for these policy.

Check nexus guide to change rate.

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card