cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer Help. What am I Missing. New to Packet Tracer

Malgandalf01
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to PT and taking the online intro course.

One of the designs they are using at the beginning has three computers connected to a WRT300N which connects to the internet via a cable modem the the cloud then to a server.

I cannot for the life of me get the WRT300n to receive an ip address in the internet port so I cannot ping or get DNS from a workstation to the remote server.

. What silly little thing am I missing?

Yes I am currently a complete noob with PT.

TIA - Mike

45 Replies 45

Hi,

Thanks for your help

I join my packet tracer file

The internet of WiFi Router has not ip (dhcp) !

Hello,

where is the file ?

? I still do not see an attachment...

Hello,

I have opened the file. but all devices get a valid DHCP address. Which one does not work in your lab ?

Hi,
I can't ping the server cisco.com and the interface of wifi router to
internet don't get a dhcp IP...

Thanks

Hello,

below the result of the ping from PC0:

Packet Tracer PC Command Line 1.0
C:\>ping cisco.com

Pinging 208.67.220.220 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.67.220.220: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=127
Reply from 208.67.220.220: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=127

Ping statistics for 208.67.220.220:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 8ms

The interface you are referring to gets IP address 208.67.220.1/24 via DHCP.

Which version of Packet Tracer are you running ?

[image: image.png]

Is 7.2.1.0218
I am on Windows10 v1809

Hello,

I have opened your file, saved it (I am using the exact same version as you do, on a Windows 10 machine. You need to wait for a minute for PC0 to get its IP address...

Thanks, I will try on monday je cause i améliorations travelling.

Hello,

is the problem solved? Get the same here, trying to update win 10 to 1903 build right now.

Hello,

what exactly is the problem ? Post your (zipped) Packet Tracer project file here...

Hello,

I hope you all can forgive me for re-opening an oldish thread. But I was also having problems with setting up this scenario and getting it to work as per the Cisco instructions. Simply put, I couldn't get the communication between the wireless router and cable modem to work, despite the interfaces being green, so I was never able to ping the Cisco router from PC0.

I have downloaded and run the revised/fixed PT file which Georg kindly uploaded (see below). 

I am a complete noob to Packet Tracer and there are also significant gaps in my conceptual knowledge re. networking in general, I am finding, so I am trying to rectify these gaps. Sorry, then, if these are dumb questions (!), but based on Georg's uploaded PT file, I would like to ask the following, if I may?

- If you didn't configure the Cisco server statically with the default gateway, how would it ever find the wireless router through the internet?

- Why the Cisco router cannot ping PC0? ("Request timed out")

- Why the Internet port IP address on the wireless router is what it is and why this differs from the LAN IP address of the router?

- Why a straight-thru cable between the wireless router and cable modem doesn't work (despite the scenario instructions from Cisco)

Thanks for your help!

Hello,

post the zipped .pkt file here...

Thanks, Georg - here it is...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card