Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet tracer missing new devices

Hubsi-Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we will get our new Cisco 9x00 switches soon and I thought, I could prepare the configuration via Packet Tracer. Maybe I do something wrong but there are not all devices are listed.  I downloaded the latest firmware from Cisco website... and now?

How could I import a missing device into Packet Tracer?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

PT from Cisco Net Academy is just a software Simulator; it does not run on real IOS or virtual IOS;  It is close to IOS but It does not really behave like real IOS would (some simply features do).  PT  is excellent tool to learn and practice networking fundamentals and commands for CCNA exam.

you cannot add new devices, you can only use what it;s there.  You can use L3 switch with IOS 15 in PT; there are no XE or XR version of software in PT;  PT has c3560 and IOS 15 and that is as close as you can get.

You can try to see if DevNet Sandbox has c9000 emulator to practice;  I think there was one last year.  Otherwise, find out what IOS version will be use on 9000s (XE 16.x) and try to find it on DevNet. 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Martin L
VIP
VIP

PT from Cisco Net Academy is just a software Simulator; it does not run on real IOS or virtual IOS;  It is close to IOS but It does not really behave like real IOS would (some simply features do).  PT  is excellent tool to learn and practice networking fundamentals and commands for CCNA exam.

you cannot add new devices, you can only use what it;s there.  You can use L3 switch with IOS 15 in PT; there are no XE or XR version of software in PT;  PT has c3560 and IOS 15 and that is as close as you can get.

You can try to see if DevNet Sandbox has c9000 emulator to practice;  I think there was one last year.  Otherwise, find out what IOS version will be use on 9000s (XE 16.x) and try to find it on DevNet. 

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card