cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet tracer routing help - Web server "Server reset connection"

19shamalam91
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I'm pretty new to packet tracer. I have created a simple scenario attached.

I wish to have PC1 and PC2 to access the WebServer, this gets "Server reset connection" on browser, or telnet is closed by foreign host. 

For now I've enabled access-list to "permit any" on each router interface in and out. Before that, browser and telnet failed to find host, so it seems to have enabled some connection at least. 

Is this an issue with the routing configuration or access-lists? 

I've tried researching on the error but I can't find anything obvious, most of them point to wireless issues?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the interface FastEthernet0/0 had the IP address of the server, 2.3.4.5, if you change that to 2.3.4.1, it is the correct default gateway, and the site http://www.corp.com is reachable from the web browsers of both client PCs.

interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 2.3.4.1 255.255.255.0
ip access-group 11 in
ip access-group 11 out
duplex auto
speed auto

Just in case, I took all the redundant stuff out (there was some missing NAT and some wrong access lists)...

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

your ISP router currently only has a host route to the web server, so only the web server is reachable.

What result are you expecting ? What do you need to reach from where (source/destination IP) ?

Try and add a default route on the ISP router:

ISP(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.2.1.2

Hi thanks for replying!

I am trying to do the following.

PC1 > Switch 1 > Router > DMZ > Webserver

PC2 > Internet Switch > ISP Router > Router > DMZ > Webserver

PC1: IP: 192.168.0.5, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.192, Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

PC2: IP: 8.8.8.100, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, Default gateway: 8.8.8.1

Web server (the destination): IP: 2.3.4.5, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway, 2.3.4.1

When on PC1 and 2, I am expecting the web browser to be able to access 2.3.4.5. This is just a dummy web page of "corp.com". When trying to access http://2.3.4.5  it produces the error "Server Reset Connection". If I access the web server and try the webpage it loads. 

I have tried the 0.0.0.0 route as you describe but that has not changed the behaviour. 

I thought I was able to ping the webserver, but running through the packet simulation, traffic hits "Router" and comes back successful, it does not travel through to the webserver, so I think my routing to the webserver is incorrect.

Do you know what the correct ip route should be? It shows as:

C 2.3.4.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0 (which is the interface out towards webserver)

Hello,

I did notice that some of your 192.168.0.0 devices have /26 masks, while the default gateway 192.168.0.1 has a /24 mask, change that to make the masks the same...

I'll have a look at the other issue...

Hello,

the interface FastEthernet0/0 had the IP address of the server, 2.3.4.5, if you change that to 2.3.4.1, it is the correct default gateway, and the site http://www.corp.com is reachable from the web browsers of both client PCs.

interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 2.3.4.1 255.255.255.0
ip access-group 11 in
ip access-group 11 out
duplex auto
speed auto

Just in case, I took all the redundant stuff out (there was some missing NAT and some wrong access lists)...

Ah of course! So simple! Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card