cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR with ECMP in Catalyst 3xxx and 93xx switches

RameshPVN8915
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to enable PBR with ECMP (using recursive next hop) on Catalyst 9300 switches and I am getting a syslog that this feature is not supported.

Sep 13 21:34:05.528: %FMANRP_PBR-3-UNSUPPORTED_RMAP: Route-map pbr1 has unsupported options for Policy-Based Routing. It has been removed from the interface, if applied.

Can I know which products/software release supports this feature ?

I am tying to do PBR from SVI, onto L3 Uplinks. All the next hops are all resolved.

I have a route for some dummy IP - that I gave as recursive next-hop and configured 2 paths for this dummy route - using next-hops of directly connected uplinks.

I can give the config - but please let me know why its not supported.

--Ramesh

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Usually for advanced feature like PBR, you need and advance license?

What is your license level?  "sh ver" should show you that.

HTH

Technology Package License Information:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Technology-package Technology-package
Current Type Next reboot
------------------------------------------------------------------
network-advantage Permanent network-advantage
dna-advantage Subscription dna-advantage

Can I know which products support PBR with ECMP in the catalyst family and with what license ? 

The recursive nexthop way of achieving PBR ECMP - I am not able to configure such route-maps as the config is being rejected saying its not supported.

Have a look at table 13 in this link. Not sure about PBR/ ECMP but just PBR is supported with Network Essential.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/nb-06-cat9300-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html#Licensing

HTH

Thanks for the response. Yes PBR works for me fine. 

Issue is only with PBR+ECMP using recursive nexthop.

Hello Ramesh,

see the following document

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/XE3-6-0E/15-22E/configuration/guide/xe-360-config/pbroute.pdf

set ip next-hop recursive should be supported on Catalyst 4500 as reported in the link above and I guess on Catalyst 6500, 6800.

The set ip next-hop recursive may require  a TCAM able to support it.

It is not  so easy as normal PBR, multiple pointers to the possible next-hops need to be installed in TCAM in the FIB, and then CEF load balancing must choice one of them for each flow ( given a source IP and a destination IP.

address that match the route-map block/clause).

I'm afraid Access switches are not expected to support a feature like this.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the response. Match criteria would need a TCAM and not the "recursive-nh" part. Ability of the TCAM result to pass a single nexthop or a ECMP pointer could be limiting the access switches. The Recursive nexthop to ECMP pointer anyway is a software concept and ASIC capability is only about being able to drive a the result of Single-NH or ECMP-PTR. Looks like even the Catalyst 93xx ASICs do not support it? NXOS does support it though (even the cheapest boxes).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco