cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Per VLAN Static Routes?

Brandon James
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to set static routes per VLAN?

Example VLAN 100 sends all traffic to 192.168.1.1 and VLAN 200 sends all traffic to 10.1.1.1. (2800 Series RTR)

I have 5 networks that have their own gateway to the Internet via satellite link. Those networks run over the same infrastructure on separate VLANs. They frequently send traffic to each other, which gets sent over a slow SAT link. I introduced a router to the network and would like to set all my hosts default gateway to the local routers sub-interface then have a static route that send all traffic that is not on one of my 5 networks back to that VLANs respective SAT modem to get routed out over the Internet. Any Ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Brandon,

Either you can go for VRF concept or Policy based routing in you device to acheive this.

PBR you need to create an access list and routemaps to define the next hop for the source subnet based filtering and applying it on the respective vlans.

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you define a static route it applies to all the vlans.  If you want to have different static routes per vlan, you can put each vlan in a VRF Lite. This way each vrf has its own routing table and you can device static routes per vrf.

here is the config guide with sample config:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/optical/15000r4_6/ethernet/454/guide/vrf.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/mp_l3_vpns/configuration/xe-3s/mp-multi-vrf-vrf-lite.html

HTH

kamran_Roostaee
Level 1
Level 1

I guess there are 5 VLANs that connect to router interface and there are no L3 switch in your network, if you defined sub-interface for each VLAN and define switch interface (interface that connected to router) as trunk then router will do inter VLAN routing, you can define a default route to send external traffic to SAT modem, if you want to connect some hosts to internet, you should NAT these hosts IP on your router.

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Brandon,

Either you can go for VRF concept or Policy based routing in you device to acheive this.

PBR you need to create an access list and routemaps to define the next hop for the source subnet based filtering and applying it on the respective vlans.

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

The policy based routing was the way to go for me. I applied a route-map policy to each interface that denied traffic from VLAN to VLAN and permitted all other traffic to the next-hop address of the modem of that respective VLAN.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card