Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Permanently Physically Disable Switchport

Hello All,

Sort of a fringe question, but I discovered that my primary trunk port 0/47 on my lab's core switch (to the router) is going bad. Long story short, I'd like to permanently disable the port physically so that I never accidentally plug anything into that port again.

Things I would not like to do:

pour epoxy or cement into my switch (1 it's messy and 2 I don't want to power the switch down).

Rip out the pins (I could probably cut them but... it seem hazardous and laborious.

Does anyone else have a method for permanently disabling a switchport at layer 1? I know you can buy the RJ45 dust covers, but I'd like something to jam in there that won't come out again or won't come out again without a fair amount of trouble (i.e. it would be more trouble to rip out the plug than to just use a different port). Don't care if the single port is damaged in the process of blocking it--the point is to destroy it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Zac

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just insert an empty RJ45 connector with a meaningful label on it. Or cut off an ethernet-cable and insert that into the port. But ok, someone who doesn't want to read the label will not have any trouble ...

Or you can use something like this:

https://www.tripplite.com/universal-rj45-locking-inserts-yellow-10-pack~n2lplug010yw

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Just insert an empty RJ45 connector with a meaningful label on it. Or cut off an ethernet-cable and insert that into the port. But ok, someone who doesn't want to read the label will not have any trouble ...

Or you can use something like this:

https://www.tripplite.com/universal-rj45-locking-inserts-yellow-10-pack~n2lplug010yw

@Karsten Iwen That is a nice RJ-45 lock...thanks for posting the link !

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello zachrhart@gmail.com ,

just in addition to what has been suggested:

what about at configuration level to use

config t

interface type x/y

shudown

description **** DO NOT USE BAD PORT ! ****

Hope to help

Giuseppe