Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping one way

lactoz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I a having a difficult time with what I thought would be a fairly simple set up but has stumped my limited knowledge.  I am including show command files for my running configuration as well as for ping results from both the router and switch.  You will see that the router/switch can ping some things but not others.  One example of the problem (shown in the Ping.txt file) is that interface 10.1.1.254 on the router can ping the laptop at 192.168.0.99 - Although the laptop obviously finds the path back with a reply, when I ping from the laptop to interface 10.1.1.254 it fails.  

I have check for the obvious firewall but can verify that there is one and windows firewall is turned off on all connections at this time.  My goal in this is that the 10.x.x.x network and 192.168.0.x network be able to ping each other, see each other and access services/devices from each other.  I plan to initially put some devices on the 10.1.1.x network but no point in doing this if the 192.168.0.x network can see or access the devices.  Hopefully with this and the attached files someone will pickup on the most likely simple mistake I have made on my set up.  TIA

7 Replies 7

Tubster123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  sorry reading this on my phone so a little difficult to see all info. 

The diagram shows the same IP address on sw1 and r1?

i would suggest starting by removing the NAT configuration from the two interfaces on R1 and testing again?

HTH

Hi

Thanks for the reply.  

My mistake - ip address of the switch interface fa0/0 is actually 10.1.1.254.

I removed the NAT lines from both interfaces but no change in my issue.

Thanks

Do all the end devices (PC/laptop, etc) have the right default gateway?

HTH

Yes, I believe that they do.  Both the wireless and wired machines get their addressing via DHCP from the wireless router.  The gateway it provides is 192.168.0.1 - (you will notice that 192.168.0.1 is the same address as the gateway of last resort on the Cisco 1841 router to provide Internet access).   I thought this might be an issue so I statically assigned an IP to a PC and gave it the gateway of 192.168.0.254 (FA0/1 on the Cisco 1841 route) but this did not solve anything.

Thanks

And the router can ping 10.1.1.254 from it’s 192.168.0.x address?

Wireless router that is

The wireless Internet router is a Technicolor DPC3848V DOCSIS 3.0 and although overly expensive, sadly not very configurable.  No place to even ping from this router.   Not sure if it is a characteristic of the router itself or if my ISP has it locked down with firmware. I am able to ping to the wireless router (at 192.168.0.1) from both the 192.168.0.254 and the 10.1.1.254 interfaces on the 1841 router although that doesn't really prove anything since I can ping other ip addresses but they can't ping back.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card