cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Plug in powerstack cables with switch power applied?

MARK BAKER
Level 4
Level 4

I have a customer that has a stack of 3750x switches installed in production and now would like to install the powerstack cables. The switches are in production and downtime would like to be avoided. Can you install the powerstack cables with the switches powered up? I would assume you can, but wanted to verify before doing so.

Thank you,

Mark                  

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, you can connect the cables without bring down the stack.  Remember, you need IP Base or IP services license. LAN Base will not work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swstkpwr.html

HTH

Reza,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking through that document, but didn't see where it explicitly says you can install the cables with power applied. Did you find that information in the document or do you know from experience that you can install them with power applied to the switches?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

It is not in the documentation, but I tried this on one of my stacks a couple of weeks ago and did not have any issues.

I basically disconnect and reconnect the power cable to test the power fail over.  Once you connect the cable between 2 of the switches and If everything is working fine, you should see the neighbor switch in a very short time.  I have redundant power supplies in each switch and was fun to see the switch is running without any power cords attached to either one of the PSUs.

Good Luck,

Reza

Reza,

We may be talking about two different things here. I also removed the power cable in the past to test the functionality of powerstack, but this customer has the switches up and running without the powerstack cables connected. Do you know if the actual powerstack cables can be plugged into the switches while the switches are powered on?

Thanks,
Mark

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card