cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE on 48 Port Switch

WashburnIT
Level 1
Level 1

I need to replace some old PoE Switches.  I'm looking at the Cisco Catalyst 2960X-48LPS-L, 48-Port Gigabit Power over Ethernet Switch.  In it's documentation it states a total of 370W.  It then states, "Maximum Number of PoE (IEEE 802.3af) Ports" is "24 ports up to 15.4W".

It also says " Intelligent power management allows flexible power allocation across all ports."

Does the intelligent power management statement mean that I can put power out every port, or am I limited to only sending power on 24 ports at a time?

We need the PoE for IP Phones, and each line only needs 7.4W.  If I were to use each of the 48-Ports with 7.4W, I'd still be under the 370W power limit.

Can I use all 48-Ports with setting the power inline consumption, or am I limited to only being able to use 24 PoE ports at a time?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does the intelligent power management statement mean that I can put power out every port, or am I limited to only sending power on 24 ports at a time?

It means you are allowed 370w of PoE power.  You can have a mix of 7.7w PoE or 15.4w PoE as long as you don't exceed 370w PoE power available. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It means you are allowed 370w of PoE power.  You can have a mix of 7.7w PoE or 15.4w PoE as long as you don't exceed 370w PoE power available. 

Thank you!  I was hoping that's what it meant!

how do you do that tho.. i am having the same issue.. i need around 5 watts max but i need it more ports.. at least 30 but it get an error about there not being enough power at the 24th port.. Please help!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card