cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE on 48 Port Switch

WashburnIT
Level 1
Level 1

I need to replace some old PoE Switches.  I'm looking at the Cisco Catalyst 2960X-48LPS-L, 48-Port Gigabit Power over Ethernet Switch.  In it's documentation it states a total of 370W.  It then states, "Maximum Number of PoE (IEEE 802.3af) Ports" is "24 ports up to 15.4W".

It also says " Intelligent power management allows flexible power allocation across all ports."

Does the intelligent power management statement mean that I can put power out every port, or am I limited to only sending power on 24 ports at a time?

We need the PoE for IP Phones, and each line only needs 7.4W.  If I were to use each of the 48-Ports with 7.4W, I'd still be under the 370W power limit.

Can I use all 48-Ports with setting the power inline consumption, or am I limited to only being able to use 24 PoE ports at a time?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does the intelligent power management statement mean that I can put power out every port, or am I limited to only sending power on 24 ports at a time?

It means you are allowed 370w of PoE power.  You can have a mix of 7.7w PoE or 15.4w PoE as long as you don't exceed 370w PoE power available. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It means you are allowed 370w of PoE power.  You can have a mix of 7.7w PoE or 15.4w PoE as long as you don't exceed 370w PoE power available. 

Thank you!  I was hoping that's what it meant!

how do you do that tho.. i am having the same issue.. i need around 5 watts max but i need it more ports.. at least 30 but it get an error about there not being enough power at the 24th port.. Please help!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card