Views
Helpful
Replies

Point-to-point connections using /32 addresses

spj2019
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

We are going to implement a point to point connection between two devices and I've been told to use /32 addresses at both ends. One is a Cisco 3650 with L3 routing enabled. I'm basically stuck at step one : I'm not able to define a /32 address because IOS tells me it's invalid on vlan interfaces. Only loopbacks are accepted with that kind of netmask. Is it me or do I have a problem with my specifications? I've always used /30 addresses for point-to-point connections...

Thanks for any help! 

5 Replies 5

Uwe Engberg
Level 1
Level 1

For a Point to Point Connection you should use /30. A /32 address contains only one IP address so it wont work.

Regards

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Are you referring to /31

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3021

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Hello,
thanks for your prompt reply. We are currently attaching two 3650 L3 routing switches, connecting port 24 on one device to port 24 on the other. Basically, we'd like all devices to have the same type of configuration so that every 'branch office' would be organized in the same manner. The goal is to be able to plug in any two switches and have them working as needed, with minimum configuration changes. Since we couldn't define the /32 netmask on the VLAN Interface, we opted for a /16 so that any 10.100.0.0/16 IP address should connect without problems. 

Hello,

on a side note, ISPs use, as far as I recall, /32 masks on PPPoE/PPPoA connections with IP addresses dynamically assigned to dialer interfaces, where the address is used as an endpoint identifier, the purpose being IP address conservation...

Hello

You dont mention how these devices are to be connected, Physically or logically, Also you mention a switch and vlan interfaces , So can you confirm what the other device is and how it going to be connected, are you using any routing protocols?

FYI -You can indeed use /32 addressing to establish a "connection/peering or adjacency" between two devices however doing so would involved an underlying igp or static addressing which would not have a /32 addressing.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card