Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Channel and Routes question

tmatthews2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I have two 6509's connected via port channel.  The switches are independent, so each set of routes and the VLAN database is unique to each switch.

Switch B has a route that sends traffic to a designated trunked port which access a separate network.  There is a server on Switch A that needs to send data to the trunked port on Switch B.

Is it as simple as creating a route on A that points to port on switch B?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please find uploaded doc and let me know your comments

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

kolliparadeepak
Level 1
Level 1

how that data has been used in Switch B? If data to be accessed between two vlans, then allow that server on Switch A VLAN on that trunk and create a route (inter VLAN Routing on Switch B with the help of Router it is connected ) or if its used in same vlan that Server on Switch A, then allow that vlan on that trunk interface 

The data on Switch B goes out a Port which has an L2 connection to a remote data center.  So the port has an IP assigned, 10.10.10.101  I have a route on switch B that says 10.20.20.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.101.  This creates the next hop and data can traverse the L2.

So should the route on Switch A say 10.30.30.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.101?

How is routing works in your environment (Using external Router or Using Switch Multilayer Capabilities)? 

Is 10.10.10.101 default gateway address ? (I mean router ip address)

Are you able to ping 10.10.10.101 from switch A?

The switch does the L3.  I cannot ping the port on Switch B from Switch A.

I have static routes in the switches for traffic.  the IP's I gave were just examples.

Please find uploaded doc and let me know your comments

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card