Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Channel and Routes question

tmatthews2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I have two 6509's connected via port channel.  The switches are independent, so each set of routes and the VLAN database is unique to each switch.

Switch B has a route that sends traffic to a designated trunked port which access a separate network.  There is a server on Switch A that needs to send data to the trunked port on Switch B.

Is it as simple as creating a route on A that points to port on switch B?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Please find uploaded doc and let me know your comments

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

kolliparadeepak
Level 1
Level 1

how that data has been used in Switch B? If data to be accessed between two vlans, then allow that server on Switch A VLAN on that trunk and create a route (inter VLAN Routing on Switch B with the help of Router it is connected ) or if its used in same vlan that Server on Switch A, then allow that vlan on that trunk interface 

The data on Switch B goes out a Port which has an L2 connection to a remote data center.  So the port has an IP assigned, 10.10.10.101  I have a route on switch B that says 10.20.20.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.101.  This creates the next hop and data can traverse the L2.

So should the route on Switch A say 10.30.30.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.101?

How is routing works in your environment (Using external Router or Using Switch Multilayer Capabilities)? 

Is 10.10.10.101 default gateway address ? (I mean router ip address)

Are you able to ping 10.10.10.101 from switch A?

The switch does the L3.  I cannot ping the port on Switch B from Switch A.

I have static routes in the switches for traffic.  the IP's I gave were just examples.

Please find uploaded doc and let me know your comments

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card