Port Channel Between UnEqual Links

shaharshad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Sw1 -.Primary Link-->Sw3

|                                      |

Sw2--Secondary Link->Sw4

(Note: Switch 1 & Switch 2 are connected & likewise Sw3&Sw4 are connected)

In order to avoid loop can i connect two unequal links in a port channel configuration and make sure all traffic passes via bigger link  and   smaller link (1gig) only use in case  of primary links goes down?

Alternatively I use STP and it will automatically block smaller link but issue is i don't want to spread broadcast domain from one side to other and plan to use BPDU filter on these ports. 

Any Suggestions

Thanks

3 Replies 3

ahmedshoaib
Level 4
Level 4

Hi;

To configure the port-channel / etherchannel the speed, duplex setting should be same. unequal speed/link can not create port-channel.

2nd if you don't want spread the broadcast domain you have option via creating L3 link b/w 2 switches.

Thanks & best regards;

Requirement is to extend vlans so can't go L3. Hence STP will do the job.

Now my question is consider two switches (Data Centres A &  B), Now If DC-A affect due to unknown unicast /Broadcast storm. What we can do to make sure it does not affect other DC-B

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

In order to avoid loop can i connect two unequal links in a port channel configuration and make sure all traffic passes via bigger link  and   smaller link (1gig) only use in case  of primary links goes down?

No you can't do that, all members of a port channel need to be the same speed and duplex. You can't put a 1Gb and a 10Gb in the same port channel, it doesn't work like that.

FYI, in order to create any sort of etherchannel in the above setup, the switches in each location would need to be a either stackable, of the nexus line or be capable of running VSS. 

Cisco lists the requirements for an etherchannel here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/etherchannel/12025-49.html

Alternatively I use STP and it will automatically block smaller link but issue is i don't want to spread broadcast domain from one side to other and plan to use BPDU filter on these ports. 

The only way to achieve that is to use a L3 etherchannel.

You still wouldn't be able to use different speed links however.

BPDUFilter only applies to L2 ports and enabling it on a connection between switches running STP is not recommended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: