cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port for Data and voice issue

Anilsingh
Level 1
Level 1

i have 100 users with same configuration Port Configuration With IP Phone and PC On Same Port.

connection setting Firewall Sonicwall to Core switch SG550 to Access switch 5 Netgear and 1 cisco sg300.

When we joined the office in morning the our phones are in hanged mode, after restart 
Core switch all phones working fine and again second days same issue. 

Please could you help me what is the reason to hang the phone. when phone hanged that time Access switch latency is very high 2000 ms. pls help

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thanks, but there are still quite a lot of unknowns here. If I have understood correctly, there is a Sonicwall Firewall, an SG550 as a core switch, 5x Netgear switches and 1x SG300. Is that correct?

Would you be able to share your topology, including details of where the IP phones are connected and how the core switch is uplinked to the access switches and so on? 

A few other questions:

1. Do you experience any other connectivity issues on the data network?

2. Are your phones on the same VLAN as your PCs or are they on a seperate voice VLAN?

3. Do the phones on the voice network and the PCs / laptops on the data network use the same Internet connection?

View solution in original post

Hi there, 

Sorry to ask the same question again, but when you have the issue do you experience any other connectivity issues on the data network? E.g. can you access the Internet, do you / did you have network connectivity to other sites when this issue occurs? 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Scott Leport
Level 7
Level 7

Do you experience any other issues, such as a loss of network or Internet connectivity on the data network? 

Do your phones register to an on-prem phone system or are they registering to a hosted platform? When you say "hanged mode", what does that mean exactly? Are there any error messages on the phone itself to indicate a loss of connectivity or is it just that you can't make or receive incoming calls? 

Thank you Scott, when my phone hanged that time we are not able to press any key in phone and system connected with phone port is working properly. also i am not able to open phone ip address in web portal and we are using Cloud hosted voip service and they need only internet connection in phone.  

if i ping access switch ip address from core switch SG550 then it show 2000 MS with packet lose.

Thanks, but there are still quite a lot of unknowns here. If I have understood correctly, there is a Sonicwall Firewall, an SG550 as a core switch, 5x Netgear switches and 1x SG300. Is that correct?

Would you be able to share your topology, including details of where the IP phones are connected and how the core switch is uplinked to the access switches and so on? 

A few other questions:

1. Do you experience any other connectivity issues on the data network?

2. Are your phones on the same VLAN as your PCs or are they on a seperate voice VLAN?

3. Do the phones on the voice network and the PCs / laptops on the data network use the same Internet connection?

Hi Scott,

Good Morning,

My IP phones are connected to Access switch and pc are connected to IP phone ethernet port. ISP connection to Firewall and Firewall to Core switch and all access switch are connected to Core switch.

We don't have any Vlan for data and voice. We are using same internet connection for desktop and ip phone.

Hi there, 

Sorry to ask the same question again, but when you have the issue do you experience any other connectivity issues on the data network? E.g. can you access the Internet, do you / did you have network connectivity to other sites when this issue occurs? 

np Scottt and thanks for support..

No we never face any issue in another side, my office has two part A and B similar setting in B is working properly but facing issue in only Part a. Most of time phone hanged when users are not available means free time.

Today again phone was hanged , i removed all access switch lan cable from Core switch then its started working.

is this broadcast issue?

Hi, 

A broadcast storm sounds plausible, but I would have expected a layer 2 event like that to have caused other issues in the network, especially as the phones are on the same VLAN as the PCs according to the info you have supplied. Also with the info supplied so far, I am only aware that the phones are affected and nothing else? 

If you haven't rebooted the switches, can you please check if there any log messages generated on the managed switches (SG550) around the time that indicate when the issue occurred? Would you be able to share them here please? 

I would also look for any cables which aren't quite patched correctly, e.g. a patch cable connected to port Gi1/0/1 and Gi1/0/2 on the same switch. Possibly any incorrectly cabled connections at the user desks, e.g. cables from desktop / laptops going into the wall outlet / floor point instead of to the PC port of the IP phone. 

Start with checking log messages on the core switch and take it from there. 

i will share you log soon because today we enabled syslog server and i checked all cable and didnot find any loop in network.

Only when phones hanged that time only netgear switch Ping response shows 2000 ms one cisco switch also in same network and it was showing 40 MBPS..

Hi GM,

I found below logs in SG300 cisco switch

2147483488 2021-Jan-29 11:13:27 Warning %NT_GREEN-W-EeeLldpSingleNeighbour: Single LLDP neighbour on port gi24 - EEE operational state can be TRUE
2147483489 2021-Jan-29 08:54:39 Warning %NT_GREEN-W-EeeLldpMultiNeighbours: Multiple LLDP neighbours on port gi24 - EEE operational state is FALSE
2147483490 2021-Jan-28 18:26:15 Warning %NT_GREEN-W-EeeLldpSingleNeighbour: Single LLDP neighbour on port gi24 - EEE operational state can be TRUE
2147483491 2021-Jan-28 13:51:19 Warning %NT_GREEN-W-EeeLldpMultiNeighbours: Multiple LLDP neighbours on port gi24 - EEE operational state is FALSE
2147483492 2021-Jan-28 12:52:10 Warning %NT_GREEN-W-EeeLldpSingleNeighbour: Single LLDP neighbour on port gi24 - EEE operational state can be TRUE
2147483493 2021-Jan-28 12:50:39 Warning %NT_GREEN-W-EeeLldpMultiNeighbours: Multiple LLDP neighbours on port gi24 - EEE operational state is FALSE

Hi there, 

It's been a while since I've worked on SG switches, but I understand these error messages are to do with the auto smart port configuration, which I am sure I would have disabled on uplinks to other switches. Not sure that's the root cause of your issue, but worth noting. Do you have logs from the SG550 around the time of the issue? 

I would also consider placing the phones in their own voice VLAN too as I would imagine that IP addressing space could get used up quickly, assuming a /24 subnet and a phone and PC / laptop per desk, IP reservations, printers, WiFi etc.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card