cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port security - restrict?

louis0001
Level 3
Level 3

Was just wondering what happenings when a port is restricted with port security with regards to the orginal client being plugged back in after the port is restricted?

Does the allowed client get immediate access?

eg

PC 1 allowed with maximum 1 sticky address with aging time 5

PC 2 is plugged in and the port security switches to restrict and is blocked access

If PC 2 is removed and PC 1 is immediately plugged in (before the aging time expires), does the port un-restrice and give PC 1 immediate access?

2 Replies 2

Hi

Basically it should allow the access to the first PC connected only, it will be dropping packets to the second PC and generating an alert. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not clear on your answer as I know that's how it works. Just to clarify, if PC 1 was unplugged and PC 2 plugged in, this would put the port into restrict mode for PC 2.
If I then unplugged PC 2 (the restricted PC) and then put the orginal PC 1 back in, would PC 1 have instant access?

Also, as it's sticky and the aging time is 5 mins, if PC 2 was left in (it's restricted), would it become unrestricted after the aging time expires?
Or does the port have to have nothing plugged in for 5 minutes before this would happen.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card