cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Possible to have weighted default route for a certain subnet? 3750x

PWIjoshtorres
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for help with a certain issue...

We have 2 circuits into our location, 1 for data side and 1 for VoIP.

Currently - the data side is used a failover for the VoIP but we need to manually fail them over when the MPLS goes down.

Is it possible to setup weighted default routes on the switch without using BGP?

diagram

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

It's definitely possible using Enhanced Object Tracking. Are you redistributing routes from your MPLS router using an IGP? If so, you can track the presence of the route and have your default route point in one direction if the tracked route is present and another if it isn't. If you're not redistributing routes to the switch, you can still do this using an IP SLA process. Can you provide more details on how your switch is currently handling routing?

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

It's definitely possible using Enhanced Object Tracking. Are you redistributing routes from your MPLS router using an IGP? If so, you can track the presence of the route and have your default route point in one direction if the tracked route is present and another if it isn't. If you're not redistributing routes to the switch, you can still do this using an IP SLA process. Can you provide more details on how your switch is currently handling routing?

Thank you very much for the response!

This particular switch only has a few static routes.  We are not redistributing routes through any dynamic protocol.    

It looks like IP SLA's are what I need to look at.  

After reviewing IP SLA, I have 1 major question...

How do I configure the SLA on the MPLS/VOICE side while keeping our data through the Data ISP/MERAKI?

I hope that's clearly worded...

Just add a static host route for the target IP address of your IP SLA, pointing to the LAN IP of your MPLS router.

I have attached both configs for the switch and the MPLS router...

This is what I came up with for proper config....

Am I correct?

ip sla 1
icmp-echo 10.160.230.11 source-ip 10.93.254.17
frequency 10
ip sla schedule 1 start-time now life forever
delay down 60 up 15
track 1 rtr 1 reachability

ip route 10.160.230.0 255.255.254.0 10.93.254.17 track 1
ip route 10.160.230.0 255.255.254.0 10.93.229.1 10

That should do it. I would also do the following, just to make sure your IP SLA pings always go out the correct interface.

ip route 10.160.230.11 255.255.255.255 10.93.254.17 permanent

Jody, thanks for all your help! One more question...

Wouldn't this route (below) continue to push traffic out that interface?

ip route 10.160.230.11 255.255.255.255 10.93.254.17 permanent

Or would the lower metric "track 1 route" take care of that route?

I ask because this is our UCM and we most certainly will need to contact it from both directions.

You're absolutely right! Sorry, I didn't look at the configuration carefully enough.

Rather than tracking your IP SLA against the UCM directly, I would track against the UCM's default gateway and then use the permanent host route to that IPv4 address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: